Monday 19 January 2009

Weddings pt 1!

After organising my blogs I'm now thinking about our big event of the (British) summer. Had a bit of a shock a few days ago when I realised that there is only 8 months to go. Still have a few things to sort out.

I set up a wedding site to give all our info to guests using Momentville There are a few companies out there who will do this kind of thing, but momentville is free, simple to set up, and doesn't look too bad. You can add forum areas for guest to chat and add comments (e.g. favourite song recommendations for the reception!). You can upgrade and design your own template if you like too, but I found one of theirs which was ok. I particularly like that these guys are really enthusiastic about their system, are often updating it (and blog about the updates), and they respond really quickly to support questions.
On the other hand, trying to find a photograher was not so great. I would have thought having a decent website was an essential piece of their business these days. But a lot of the sites I've seen take so long to load, have links which don't work, and look awful . I don't expect them to be hard core developers, but surely a photographer wants to have a online experience which supports and enhances his work? True, the great sites I have seen tend to be the ones charging a fortune, but it doesn't cost much to just ensure there are no errors, the images display and you're not using clashing colours? Anyway, I have now booked Michael Marker, who has great references, seemed lovely when we spoke on the phone and has a simple, but effective website :-)

The wedding forums I've looked at have been helpful too, there are so many - will write more of a review of them later...