Friday 5 September 2008

Running and keeping fit

I enjoy keeping fit with running and love my gym (the third space in Soho - I love it, you can do any class in the world, there's a DJ and it looks like some cool bar rather than a gym) where I'm trying to get more into yoga and pilates to balance out all the running (according to the pilates instructor I'm completely mis-aligned and about to fall apart). I have actually just come back from a yoga class tonight, I got a bit ahead of myself and went to a normal class rather than beginners. With the crazy positions we were getting into I think I will be hurting tomorrow!

I try to run 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes it's hard (especially if Adam comes with me!), but most of the time I enjoy it once I get out there. I'd like to do this all outside, we have a nice 10k Regents canal route near us, 
but there's not always the time so I sometimes just pop to use the treadmill. this is a bit better on my hips and knees too, which I seem to have problems with every now and then.

The photo is towards the end of my run and when I see this bit of the canal it's great to know there's only a few minutes left! Also this is where the Canadian geese tend to hang out in large gangs, have to be careful not to get too close or they will try to bite your ankles off!!

I like reading Runners World for tips on training, shoes, and forums. But it does look a bit dated now. Also with all these new maps and communities mash ups 
like mapmyrun , cool Garmin GPS running watches, Nike+ web integrated gizmos etc. I generally use gmaps pedometer as it's simple and does the job. I was quite excited about mapmyrun with all the training plans and social side you can set up, but the map routes themselves didn't seem to save properly last time I tried. 

I would have thought Runners World would be thinking about integrating some of this kind of stuff themselves. Hope so!