Friday 5 September 2008

Kilimanjaro!

My fiance (Adam) and I recently went on a trip to Tanzania to climb Kilimanjaro. I trained hard but didn't make it right to the top due to altitude sickness. According to wikipedia it's caused by the low atmospheric pressure giving low CO2 levels which causes a rise in blood pH. To me that meant nausea, really dizzy with an awful headache and generally feeling like I was about to die. After walking for 4 days with no problems, on the summit night (we got up at midnight to start, and the temperature dropped to minus 20!) we started at 4700m and at about 5000m I started to have the problems, I carried on to about 5500m, but could continue up to the top (5,895m).

Anyway, I enjoyed the rest of the walk apart from that night. It was an amazing experience, the landscape was like nothing I'd seen before, we got to see a bit of the local culture (the porters are incredible) and the others in our group were a really nice bunch. I got into the camping more than I thought I would, it was nice to be away from everything, but I have to admit I enjoyed the first shower back at the hotel after 7 days!

I would like to try a high hike again sometime, maybe something in the himalayas. Although I'm not sure I'm quite as addicted as Adam who wants to go for a 7000m next!