Wednesday 17 September 2008

What is a product manager?

Weve been talking about this a bit at work recently so thought I'd record my thoughts here too...

I think it is always going to be difficult to give a definitive answer to what is a product manager in all cases, because all companies and teams have different structures and influences.

In previous roles I’ve been called a product manager, a business analyst and a project manager when really I’ve been doing similar day to day things.

I think some of the traditional tasks of a product manager are:

  1. Understand customer needs through research, stats analysis, user groups, interviews…
  2. Competitor and market analysis
  3. Work with all stakeholders and business owners to create longer term vision and strategy for the product
  4. Prioritise requirements, get agreement from the business and provide enough detail for development
  5. Act as product expert to answer questions on functionality
  6. Communicate out changes to the product and champion the product both internally and externally
  7. Log feedback and integrate into requirements prioritising process